Passenger Seat Height Adjustment

Rise A6ainst

Current Car: Hyundai Sonata 2011 2.0T SE

Passenger Seat Height Adjustment

Post by Rise A6ainst on 3/21/2012, 12:43 pm

Hi everyone,

First post here in the forums. I have kind of an off the wall question here. Has anyone found a way to raise the height of the passenger seat in the 2011 Sonata?

I am 5'11" and find I cannot see over the dash when sitting in the passenger seat, although I am not often in it.

My wife is 5'2", and she refuses to be passenger in the car as she cannot see anything and it makes her car sick.

I have looked around, but don't see any way to raise the height. Also took a look at the Limited model, and to my surprise there also was no height adjustment for the passenger seat.

Any thoughts or ideas?

2012Turbo

Current Car: 2012 Sonata SE 2.0T

Re: Passenger Seat Height Adjustment

Post by 2012Turbo on 3/21/2012, 1:56 pm

Well on the driver side you just push the button that makes it go forward and back.... up...its the same button and it makes the seat go up. I have no really checked the pass side though so i am not sure.

MODS: K&N drop in filter, SRT BOV with special order gasket, Rear window spolier , rear diffuser , shark DRl delete kit , shark Led's, 25% window tint, EZ front lip, f20 badges,deleted emblem grill, Ultra Racing Bar, 8000k Hid, custom acrylic emblem,Ultra guage with mount(boost,Hp, and so on), Carbon Fiber b pillars, plasti dipped rims, Ixion Spolier

VadersRide

Current Car: 2012 Sonata 2.0t

Post by VadersRide on 3/21/2012, 2:38 pm

Get her a booster seat...LOL J/K

DeanoD
    Forum Member

Post by DeanoD on 3/21/2012, 8:55 pm

Rise A6ainst wrote:My wife is 5'2", and she refuses to be passenger in the car as she cannot see anything and it makes her car sick.
    Same problem with my wife...5 foot tall and long trips/twisting roads makes her feel sick. She reads her kindle/nook and that makes it a bit tolerable.

The optima comes with a powered passenger seat I believe...might be able to retrofit. Not sure if it has height adjustment though. I can check with a friend who owns one.

amd2800barton
    Forum Member

Post by amd2800barton on 3/21/2012, 10:48 pm

This was discussed over at Hyundai Forums. Apparently the seat was lowered to make the cut and get 5 stars.

It was widely discussed that people could put in spacers to raise the height, and whether or not this was safe. I think most people focused on whether or not the seat would break off if you put spacers in - not whether or not the raised seat puts the passenger in a less safe position in the event of a collision.

billshoff

Current Car: 2011 Sonata GLS

Post by billshoff on 10/17/2013, 9:36 am

There are kits available (Google: "Sonata passenger seat lift kit") to raise the passenger seat on a Sonata or an Optima. I bought one for $65 and it makes a big difference. It's a little tricky to get the longer bolts started without cross threading them but with a little patience it's well worth the effort.
    I tried to post a picture of the kit but can't do it. And, as a new member, I'm not allowed to post a link until I've been a member for 7  days. Question

Robfrmny21

Current Car: 2012 2.0T

Post by Robfrmny21 on 10/17/2013, 9:51 am

amd2800barton wrote:This was discussed over at Hyundai Forums. Apparently the seat was lowered to make the cut and get 5 stars.

It was widely discussed that people could put in spacers to raise the height, and whether or not this was safe. I think most people focused on whether or not the seat would break off if you put spacers in - not whether or not the raised seat puts the passenger in a less safe position in the event of a collision.
    If your seat breaks the bolts even with spacer and longer bolts your gonna be in one hell of a accident

If it's reliable and cheap it will not be fast!
    If it's reliable and fast it will not be cheap!
    If it's fast and cheap it will not be reliable!

billshoff

Current Car: 2011 Sonata GLS

Safety of passenger seat kit

Post by billshoff on 10/17/2013, 10:03 am

My Hyundai dealer was intrigued by the kit and thinks it is safe. The bolts are of the same quality rating as all automotive bolts. Here is the email that the seller sent me when I questioned the safety of the mod:

"It is an aftermarket kit. The risers are 11 gauge steel. The factory bolts that come out are rated 150000 psi. The replacement bolts are 150000 psi that go back in with the kit. I have it installed in wife's car. It makes a big difference in the way the seat sits. Thank you for the interest."  SRautoshop

That's all I can tell you about the safety except that I hope you're wrong. Very Happy

smidgyguy

Post by smidgyguy on 12/10/2013, 9:47 pm

Can you give me specifics as to where to buy this kit. Google search was not helpful. Thanks

TRZ750
    Forum Member

Current Car: 2013 Sonata 2.0T Limited Iridescent Silver Bl

Post by TRZ750 on 12/11/2013, 9:01 am

smidgyguy wrote:Can you give me specifics as to where to buy this kit.  Google search was not helpful. Thanks

I found it easily by Google. Don't need it myself, just wondering.

http://www.srautoshop.com/#!installation/c20sg

Current date/time is 4/20/2014, 4:10 am