MOTOR OIL

Tundra Dweller
    Forum Member

Current Car: Sonata SE 2.0T

MOTOR OIL

Post by Tundra Dweller on 11/17/2010, 6:26 pm

While at the Dealer I asked the service Dept. if Hyundai recommends synthetic oil for the 2.0T. They checked and (of course) the factory does require synthetic. Interesting because I could not find anything in the owners manual regarding synth.
    They do call for 5-30 or 5-40 for the 2.0T and recommend 5-20 for the 2.4.
    I am running 5-30 for winter and 5-40 in the summer. To the Garage......

Re: MOTOR OIL

Post by Guest on 11/18/2010, 6:40 pm

this is the trufilter next to the factory filter......yea that is funny it doesnt say synthetic...
    Im using amsoil 0W-30 synthetic....I would be to scared to use anything else

Tundra Dweller
    Forum Member

Current Car: Sonata SE 2.0T

Post by Tundra Dweller on 11/22/2010, 12:38 pm

Here's the response from H's consumer affairs dept. regarding synth. oil:

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America. Congratulations on the purchase of your 2011 Sonata 2.0T. We appreciate your inquiry for clarification regarding the usage of synthetic oil in your Sonata.

We recommend conventional multi-grade (petroleum-based) oil be used and changed at those intervals specified in the maintenance schedule in your Owner's Manual. Regardless whether conventional or synthetic oil is used, the maintenance interval for oil changes specified in the Owner's Manual remains the same.

Go figure the Dealership and Factory have conflicting information.
    I realize that, in the past, Turbos required synthetic oil for high heat turbo bearings. Yes, manufacturing technology advances along with lubrication.
    Regardless I believe I will continue to "waste" the money on synthetic oil for the 2.0T. Call me old school

Smile

Post by Guest on 11/22/2010, 7:19 pm

Wow,,, thats crazy...I have never heard that before...no synthetic needed..hmmm

I will also stick to the synthetic...im sorry but i just have a real hard time putting reg oil in it.

old school X2

emquad46

Current Car: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 2.0t

Mobil1 5W-40

Post by emquad46 on 11/23/2010, 5:42 pm

I have used Mobil1 5W-30/40 in all of my vehicles in the past and present. We just took delivery of a Sonata SE 2.0T. I will change the oil at 3000 miles as indicated in the manual and then every 5000 miles with Mobil1. I would normally change the oil at 7500 miles but knowing the turbo will be heavily used I think every 5000 is a more realistic number.

Mit Chong
    Forum Member

Current Car: Huyndai Sonata 2011

Post by Mit Chong on 12/14/2010, 7:12 pm

Hi TURBOLARGER:

Is that stainless steel like TrueFilter reuseable: Similar to Mercedes Benz filters where you could either clean/wash the fabric filter inside, or change it, and reuse the filter case?

Where could I get one for my Sonata SE 2.0T?

Thanks,
    Mit Chong
    San Diego, CA

Giants4Ever
    Forum Member

Current Car: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 2.0T

Post by Giants4Ever on 12/15/2010, 12:42 pm

FYI, My dealer's 15,000 mile service includes addition of BG MOA oil additive as well as BG Gas Additive.
    The Oil Additive "prevents oxidation and thickening of engine oil under even the most severe stop-and-go, high temperature driving conditions. It fortifies all qualities of engine oil to provide superior long-lasting engine protection and helps maintain optimum engine performance. BG MOA keeps piston ring belts, hydraulic lifters and other engine components clean to help extend engine life and reduce costs of operation. It is compatible with both synthetic and petroleum-base oils. "

turboNAR
    Forum Member

Current Car: 2011 Sonata 2.0T SE

Post by turboNAR on 1/5/2011, 9:22 am

Just did my fist oil change at 1500 miles. I used Mobil 1 synthetic oil and a Wix oil filter. I have already noticed a slight increase in fuel efficiency! maybe around 8/10th of a mile more per gallon. It was nice to see that Hyundai thought of pulling a removable door to give access to the drain plug and an open port for the oil filter. My last car was a Toyota Corolla and I had to remove the whole undercarriage cover every time I did an oil change Sad

Post by Guest on 1/21/2011, 9:20 am

I love BG they make some kickass products

Giants4Ever
    Forum Member

Current Car: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 2.0T

Post by Giants4Ever on 2/3/2011, 5:11 pm

I took mine in last weekend for the 3000 drain. They use Chevron Synthetic Blend. I checked that out on an AmsOil comparison site and it didn't do very well...Plus, they used 5W20, NOT the 5W30 or 5W40 specified in the manual! I'm switching to synthetic, 5W40. The service was only $32, which is a plus.

Current date/time is 7/23/2014, 6:58 am