Contest: $75 Gift Card from K5 Optima Store, plus FREE shipping in the US! Click Here for Details!

Smartkey...Like it? Or not?

worldflyer
    Forum Member

Current Car: Phantom Black 2011 Sonata SE 2.0T

Smartkey...Like it? Or not?

Post by worldflyer on 4/12/2011, 10:58 am

Since all Non-GLS YF Sonata's come with the new Hyundai Smartkey, all of us here have had experience with it. This is my first car with the proximity type smartkey and I must say that I really enjoy having this feature. I hardly use the buttons on the key itself unless I wanted to double check that I've locked the car from a distance. I love that I don't have to fish for keys in my pocket in order to open the car. I don't know why, but I find the push button start cool. The Mercedes I sold didn't have this feature and that particular model offers proximity keys as an expensive option. Really great that Hyundai offers it standard on mid to upper level Sonata trims. Plus having a door handle button on the passenger side makes opening the door for a lady passenger a smooth operation.

The other day while I was getting a glare strip installed on my car, the owner of the place noticed that the key to my car looked really nice. Said it reminded him of a Mercedes key. Others in the waiting area (a few nice older ladies) were impressed by the key as well. I told them about the proximity ability and they though it was very neat. One lady asked what trim levels the smartkey was offered in. She said her 2011 Camry didn't offer it, I felt really smug at that point haha. Another elderly lady went on to rant about how she dislikes the VW switchblade key and the odd placing of the panic button

Save for not being able to switch the car to ACC mode from switching the engine off, I love the smartkey.

What are your thoughts?

tonsil crusha
    Forum Member

Current Car: 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Limited

Re: Smartkey...Like it? Or not?

Post by tonsil crusha on 4/13/2011, 4:36 pm

Love the smartkey, my 2009 lancer GTS had the samething but with no push to start, you still had to turn a "key like" mechanism.

Here's my questions...and maybe i over looked it in the owners manual.

#1...where to you insert the removable key in case of needing to use it to start the car.
    #2...what is the little slot in the middle console for that the smartkey goes into for....mine has a little light on it (below the opening) but never turns on....i don't know if this is even for the smartkey but it fits perfectly into it.

.....ok go ahead, make me look like a fool now....

Forcefedlx
    Forum Member

Current Car: 2011 Sonata 2.0T SE

Post by Forcefedlx on 4/13/2011, 8:56 pm

#1...I think the removeable key is for the door
    #2...I guess if the smartkey fails in your pocket, you stick it in the hole--I was not sure about this one myself, lol

I think the smartkey is neat, except when I want to start the car to warm it up, you need to push the brake. I also think it is a little more bulky than most smartkeys.

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE--2.0T, Phantom Black Metallic, quick, efficient, and a blast to drive

2011 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ--3.6, Silver Ice Metallic, heated/cooled seats, bluetooth, backup camera; power liftgate; 20" wheels--wife's ride

1992 Ford Mustang LX--5.0, Calypso Green, Supercharged, Trick Flow, MSD, Flowmasters, etc--garage ornament

1NICEBRO
    Forum Member

Current Car: 2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0T

Post by 1NICEBRO on 4/14/2011, 4:00 am

I love the smart key functions. I looked in the owners manual and the hole in the console charges the fob. I've never had mine to go dead. I usually try to charge it when I know i'll be driving for at least 20 min or more. Never noticed the light either. The key inside the fob operates the door locks and the trunk in case your fob dies before you return. There's no place to start it manually. I often forget to use the door handle buttons to open the door because Im not use to having that option...lol. The most disappointing thing about the push button start is that there is no ACC mode cycle after turning vehicle off. Maybe if they would have allowed the driver to hold the "start button" for 2 secs or more, it could enable the driver to turn the vehicle off while leaving the accessories on. Ex. (radio, power outlets).

tonsil crusha
    Forum Member

Post by tonsil crusha on 4/14/2011, 8:55 am

so that slot it confirmed to charge the remote (what does fob stand for?)

I DO NOT like the idea of no manual start, my old lancer, like i mentioned, had a smartkey, but you still turned a key like ignition. and in case of failure, you could remove that device and use the actual key.

worldflyer
    Forum Member

Current Car: Phantom Black 2011 Sonata SE 2.0T

Post by worldflyer on 4/14/2011, 9:43 am

I knew the slot was there for emergencies, never knew it was for a charging the key. I believe the key gives a warning on the dash when the battery is running low.

On a different note, anyone have a cover or a keychain on their smartkey? I bought an inexpensive cover off ebay. Not necessarily to protect it from scratches, but for the odd possibility of having it fall out of my pocket and onto the ground. At least it has some sort of cushion and avoiding those nasty gouges. Even in the past I don't like to put many things on my car keys, so I just have a small strap that came with the cover on the end of the loop.

tonsil crusha
    Forum Member

Post by tonsil crusha on 4/14/2011, 9:55 am

it's funny, i didn't even know about that little slot for the key, and i've had the car for about a month now...

Forcefedlx
    Forum Member

Current Car: 2011 Sonata 2.0T SE

Post by Forcefedlx on 4/14/2011, 6:57 pm

I've had the car a montha nd a half and I only put the fob in once, lol. I wonder how long is will stay charged.

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE--2.0T, Phantom Black Metallic, quick, efficient, and a blast to drive

2011 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ--3.6, Silver Ice Metallic, heated/cooled seats, bluetooth, backup camera; power liftgate; 20" wheels--wife's ride

1992 Ford Mustang LX--5.0, Calypso Green, Supercharged, Trick Flow, MSD, Flowmasters, etc--garage ornament

1NICEBRO
    Forum Member

Current Car: 2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0T

Post by 1NICEBRO on 4/15/2011, 1:41 am

Good ? @ Tonsil. I found out it stands for Frequency Operated Button. As far as the slot is concerned, Im wondering if the FOB charge is based on the amount of travel you do. For example, if I were to drive from NC to NY, would I have to charge it? I/ve never experienced a dead FOB because I try to keep it charged.

tonsil crusha
    Forum Member

Post by tonsil crusha on 4/15/2011, 9:20 am

I can say the lancer me and my wife had never had an issue with the smartkey going dead....and that was for 3 years approx.

Current date/time is 7/25/2014, 6:17 am