Which Gas Octane should we use.

Fastlerner
    Forum Member

Current Car: 2011 Sonata SE 2.0T

Re: Which Gas Octane should we use.

Post by Fastlerner on 5/15/2012, 2:57 pm

MX_9 wrote:I've yet to hear of someone experiencing detonation running 87 octane fuel in a stock Sonata.

You won't mainly because it's GDI and the fuel is injected at the last moment while the cylinder is already under compression. That's WHY they're able to make a turbo capable of running with 87.

MX_9 wrote:I've felt the effects or timing pulls in other vehicles and it is noticeable so if it's happening someone surely would have felt it.

Most everyone who runs 93 HAS felt it. It even shows in the numbers as +10hp and a fatter torque curve. The gas itself doesn't make any more power, the change is strictly due to the ECU lightening up on the timing restrictions imposed to run 87 safely.

MX_9 wrote:Note that I run 93 in my daily driver. It's recommended for the vehicle and I have a custom tune with it so it's warranted on both accounts.

I do as well with a stock engine. As I stated earlier, my engine just seems to run smoother all the way around.

SteveF wrote:I hope this ends this silly discussion now.

(But I won't bet on it...)

Sorry Steve, I couldn't help myself. Wink But hopefully this will end soon. This topic has been beat to death. You would think that when the Hyundai engineers stated plainly that the published power ratings are at 87, but it adapts to make more power with 93, it would have been over then.

Either is SAFE. Buy what you like. But please stop saying it can't run 93 safely or that it makes no difference if you do. It can and it does.

leesrt

Current Car: 2012 YF2.0T

Post by leesrt on 5/15/2012, 7:49 pm

Wow, and octane battle again and I wasn't part of it (jealous) Crying or Very sad

mndthegap1
    Forum Member

Post by mndthegap1 on 5/15/2012, 8:05 pm

I'm using 93 octane because of the parts i have. but my wife has a 2012 2.0t and she is using 87.

n813ca
    Forum Member

Post by n813ca on 5/15/2012, 11:53 pm

My father in law drives truck and delivers gas to all the stations.. He gets it from the refinery and flat out will tell me I am wasting my money on higher if the car only calls for 87. It all comes out of the same tank.

turbogiotto
    Forum Member

Current Car: Sonata SE 2.0t 2011

Post by turbogiotto on 5/16/2012, 12:24 am

Was running on 87 but when winter strikes..... car was acting weird. Switch to 91 (93 is pretty rare these days) and stayed on 91. Performance was better.

Luxon Strut Bar
    Power Stop cross drill and slotted brakes

CP-E midpipe  cheers 

still waiting for install...
    torque solution lower engine mount insert

YoshiFD3S

Current Car: '11 Sonata 2.0T, '94 RX-7, '14 Santa Fe 2.0T

Post by YoshiFD3S on 5/16/2012, 2:23 am

leesrt wrote:Wow, and octane battle again and I wasn't part of it (jealous) Crying or Very sad

I filled in for you while you were gone.

My 2JZ RX-7 BUILD THREAD

leesrt

Post by leesrt on 5/16/2012, 5:05 am

n813ca wrote:My father in law drives truck and delivers gas to all the stations.. He gets it from the refinery and flat out will tell me I am wasting my money on higher if the car only calls for 87. It all comes out of the same tank.

Its not because 93 is better for the car, its because you get better performance.

LineArrayNut
    Forum Member

Current Car: 2011 sonata 2.0T SE HGM

Post by LineArrayNut on 5/19/2012, 9:07 am

n813ca wrote:My father in law drives truck and delivers gas to all the stations.. He gets it from the refinery and flat out will tell me I am wasting my money on higher if the car only calls for 87. It all comes out of the same tank.

your FIL is wrong. the TT tank has multiple compartments. it'll run on 87 ok. it'll run better on 93. trust me. or look at a window sticker on a genesis 2.0T where they finally say that octane matters...

innerreflection
    Forum Member

Current Car: 2012 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Limited

Post by innerreflection on 5/19/2012, 12:26 pm

its weird because ive had a few cars that use regular and after putting in a higher grade they ran like deuce.
    Isnt it almost the same if you just use a fuel injector cleaner with regular gas ?

leesrt

Post by leesrt on 5/19/2012, 12:37 pm

Every time this comes up it ends up in two directions at the same time.
    Using 93 or 87 is not about how good the gas is or how it keeps you system clean. It's about how your car performs. This car, and many others, have adaptive ecu's that perform better on premium gas. They perform as advertised on regular gas.

If you have a car that does not have an adaptive ecu it won't matter. What does matter is the quality of the gas detergents a particular company uses. Shell and Chevron rate among the best but if the didn't have those detergents their gas would be the same as the mom and pop gas station.

It never fails that somewhere in these conversations someone always knows someone who knows someone who drives a gas truck.

Current date/time is 4/24/2014, 3:22 am